Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rock of Ages

It has been heavily impressed upon my heart in recent weeks and months that we may not be long here. The economy is unstable. Our foundation as a country is shaken. Our health is questionable. Natural disasters are unpredictable. We are sitting ducks in many senses, but in the most vital sense, we are secure and at peace. Our “Rock of Ages”, Jehovah, the all-eternal Lord, is still Lord today. He is the fount of every blessing. He is our firm foundation. He is the cornerstone of our faith. He is our compass. All of these terms are very cliché-ish until they become real for us. What better opportunity for them to become real than in times of intense testing and trial? When all is stripped away, we see that He is all we need. No one can take Him away.

I am reminded by Paul in Romans 8: 38 that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, nor things impending nor threatening, nor yet to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God forbid it, but if this nation falls to pieces, if a horrible regime were to take power, if our mighty dollar loses all of its value, we have a treasure that is kept safe and sound in Christ Jesus. NO ONE can take away my Jesus. They may take my money, my house, my food, my books, my Bible, even my life, but they cannot take away the one thing that is ultimately the foundation of my existence. They cannot take away the love that is mine in Christ Jesus my Lord.

If I live, I live for Him. If I die, I die for Him. Whatever may happen, my life is hidden in Him. The enemy cannot have me. He never will. My portion is the Lord, and I do not lack or want for anything.

We crave luxury, comfort, and ease. We feel entitled to “privileges” that seem intrinsic to our society of affluence. But truly, what do we really need? Where is my treasure? Is my treasure found in something that can be taken away? If it is, then I am forever doomed to be riddled with fear and anxiety. Or is my treasure found in my Lord, who is mine, forever? This is the state of perfect peace that He promises.

Isaiah 26 says that the Lord will keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind is stayed on Him, because he leans on Him. I am challenged to ask myself, “on whom or what am I leaning?” Am I leaning on something that is in danger of falling? If so, I am unstable. Or am I leaning on a solid Rock, which has never before and will never be moved? What is consistent through the Bible? Nations rise, fall, rise again, and are demolished. People come into power and loose power, are renowned one day and defamed the next. Buildings are erected and then obliterated. The Titanic sunk. The Tower of Babel was vanity. Starbucks faces cut-backs. Great companies are brought low. Stocks crash. Once -stable jobs are mere shadows. Houses are being taken. 401k’s are no more. Retirement plans are destroyed. Sickness takes over. But the Rock of Ages stays solid, true, and faithful. I am so glad to be standing on Him.

All that we have is from Him, and He can take it all in an instant. Praise the Lord for His blessings, but never forget that His presence is all that is vital. The perfect peace is found in the direction of our gaze and the leaning of our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment